I work with both RHEL & AIX, and I'm not sure that you save a whole bunch of
money by going Linux anymore. I won't p0ut [AD/} in here, because I'm not a
vendor, nor do I have a business relationship with one (anymore). But I was
recently investigating making this same move, and my IBM vendor proposed
replacing my 2 p570's (4 LPARS each) with a Blade H center, populated with 2
PS701 Blades, for a little under $75K, including 3-year hardwarew warranty & 3
year AIX software 24x7 4Hr onsite maintenance. Additional Power blades were
$14K, but wintel blades could be had for about $7K each, fitting in the same
enclosure. "Membership" for a comparable RH installation over 3 years was about
that same $75K, before you even buy hardware. Of course, you can go without
software support on linux, but you'd better be very good at it, especially if
your implementation is at all non-standard (um, U2).

I also note that one of the most common sysadmin procedures I execute is
expanding file systems as data footprints grow. On AIX, I allocate the storage,
do a cfgmgr, then issue the appropriate chfs command. In Linux, to expand a
file system means taking the volume offline: downtime. P.S.: If I'm wrong about
that, please tell me how to do it, thanks.