Is it just me, or does anybody else absolutely cringe when here in late 2011 we
see anyone still running W2K for any reason?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Wyatt" <bwyatt_...@comcast.net>
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:44:27 PM
Subject: [U2] UV 9.6.2.1/uvbackup questions

I ran into a client with UniVerse 9.6.2.1 on Windows 2000 Server with SP4.

It looks like uvbackup does some strange things on this system, and I'm
wondering if someone may have seen this or know how to change it.

The uvbackup command is essentially uvbackup -f -limit 1 -v -s logfile -t
z:\backupfile.img -walk d:\uvdb\accounts

The backup starts at 10 P.M., and finishes around 7 A.M. for a 37 GB
database resulting in a 28.4 GB backup image file.

The z:\backupfile.img file is a remote server path for the backup only.

For the entire 9 hours, z:\backupfile.img file never exists - it doesn't get
created until the job is done, it runs out of resources, or falls into some
error that causes uvbackup to ask to continue with the current file, change
the file, or quit.

The z: location still has plenty of disk space - more than triple the space
needed. It happens with or without the -limit 1 argument.

The next day, it may run fine - completes the backup without error.

The hardware is a 3.06 GHz Xeon processor with 3 GB of memory, SATA-1 drives
on a RAID controller in a RAID-5 array (doing over 400 MB/sec transfer speed
on Reads), and the network is 1 Gb.

Has anyone noticed that their backup file does not (or did not) grow or
exist until the backup is done?

Does anyone know of a way to convince uvbackup to use the target file
immediately without awaiting completion?

Does anyone know if this happens in newer UniVerse releases this same way?

Lastly, if d:\uvdb\accounts has a few accounts I don't want to back up, it
looks like I cannot skip them in the backup unless I create a file with a
list of all of the files I want to back up.

This would be several hundred thousand files, and there are new files
created every day. And I can't move the accounts I don't care about.

I was thinking about SourceForge findutils, but am wondering if someone has
experience with this or similar Windows find utilities and uvbackup?

Bob Wyatt