During an Update Trigger, I'd like to alter the 'Current Record' as passed
into the trigger so the 'effective written' record is different with changes
I want to make, but it appears the change is not allowed.

I have some logic that would be "easy" to add into a trigger to modify a few
fields that otherwise I get to hunt through every relevant 'write' in BASIC
-- worse, I will miss the ability to do this field update if the records is
AE edited.

Is just a 'too bad, so sad' thing?  I am guessing I could write a whole
bunch of 'phantom' that monitors a log record, and have the trigger record
the needed data into the 'log' and have the phantom 'update' the record in a
second pass, but that seemed extreme, and possibly a problem if the record
received several sequential changes.