On 01/12/11 01:20, John Hester wrote:
As far as liability for data theft, it sounds like that's negotiable
between the client and cloud provider.  I doubt there's any standard at
this point.  There are a whole host of federal and state regulations
that come into play regarding theft of personal data, though.  If you're
storing business to consumer sales data, there is potentially a lot to
consider.  Business to business data is probably much less of an issue.

Given that I can't tell from the OP's gmail address whether he's American or not, federal and state rules may not apply. However, international rules may.

Bear in mind that it is legally VERY dangerous for a European company to store personal data in a cloud, given that most cloud companies are American. As the law currently stands, the American government can subpoena ANY information that the American head office has access to. BUT it is a criminal offence for a European to let their data fall into non-European hands.

So if, as a European company, you store personal data on a cloud server, expect to be sued ... or worse ...

Cheers,
Wol