So has anyone ever seen or written an init script for Universe on RHEL 5 or
6.
I know some things changed with 6, but, it still seems to have some
compatibility.

When I say init script I mean:

An init script is something that you can use with chkconfig to put universe
in the startup and shutdown process of the machine.

So for example, if I type reboot as root, the init system will handle the
proper shutdown of universe, and the proper startup of universe, etc.

For example, for the cups printing system on RHEL, you have an init
script...

[root@bas-test-uv ~]# chkconfig --list | grep cups
cups            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

It will either start or stop in runlevels 3 4 or 5 based on what the script
says it should do, whether you are shutting down or starting up.

Is there anything like this for Universe on RHEL 6?

If not, do I have to manually shut down Universe every time I reboot the
machine?

I could not find one after I went through the install.

And yes I'm assuming you would still have to manually kick everyone off
before the reboot.

--
John Thompson