I just went from 10.3.4 on AIX 5.3, to 11.1.4 on Red Hat 6.2

Most of the pain was the operating system conversion and new hardware.

The actual Universe stuff was pretty painless.
We've only been live for a few days, so I have not had time to play with
any new stuff.

We had to rebuild our globally cataloged stuff, but, we had the source code.

We had to transfer over items from UV.ACCOUNTS file.

We had to upgrade all the VOC's, but, they have command line utility that
you can write a BASIC program to do that if you want.
-The utility is called = /usr/uv/bin/updaccount
-Someone on the list had a utility to run this in every account.
-I think all you need to do is, loop through the UV.ACCOUNTS file and run
this command on every account

Oh yes, and then if you have a file called 'ORDER' (I mean, who would write
a business application with a file called ORDER!!!- note the sarcasm), then
you have to put those file pointers back, because the upgrade utility will
wipe them out.  Just look in &TEMP& of the account and you will find the
VOC items replaced by the upgrade utility.

Oh yeah and then we have to run format.conv on every file and object code
to bit swap them from AIX to Linux, but, again, if you aren't changing
OS's, you don't need to worry about that.  Again, another BASIC program to
write.

Thats all I can remember, as I haven't slept much in the past week...

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Chris Austin <cjausti...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the writeup from one user (who upgraded to 11.1):
>
> http://nebula-rnd.com/blog/tech/mv/2011/04/u2upgrade2.html
>
> Chris
>

> > From: cjausti...@hotmail.com
> > To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
> > Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:03:56 -0600
> > Subject: Re: [U2] Universe 10.2 to 11.1
> >

> > Harold,
> >
> > I just did this upgrade about a week ago.. it was super easy. I actually
> went from 10.1.18 to 11.1.1 and the transition was smooth but
> > there were a couple things to note:
> >
> > 1) Install Universe 11.x under the 'modify' setting.
> > 2) The file paths are diff (c:\ibm\uv vs. c:\u2\uv), so agree to have
> the files MOVED from one to the other (during install). [make sure
> permissions allow this on the folder]
> > 3) run UPDATE.ACCOUNT (UniVerse command) in each of the UniVerse
> accounts, then update the VOC when it asks you to.
> >
> > Cost = 1 day of my time
> > Time = 2 hours (most of the time spent was getting the UniVerse license)
> >
> > 11.1.1 has been perfect for me so far and I have not had 1 hiccup as a
> result of the upgrade.
> >
> > Here is a writeup done by one user:
> > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.u2.general/65456
> >
> > Here was my post from the other week:
> > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.u2.general/65456
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > > Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:34:31 -0800
> > > From: harold.o...@clark.wa.gov
> > > To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
> > > Subject: [U2] Universe 10.2 to 11.1
> > >
> > > All:
> > >
> > > Who has upgraded Universe 10.2 to 11.1?  Difficult or not?  Costs?
> Time?
> > > More generally, I'm addressing anyone using Universe 11.1 coming from
> > > any other place.
> > >
> > > On their website, Rocket states:
> > > "UniVerse V11.1 adds powerful high availability, interoperability,
> > > administration and security capabilities to the solid extended
> > > relational database."
> > >

> > > EDA (Extended Data Architecture) sounds quite interesting (this is
> under
> > > "interoperability"):
> > >
> > > "External Database Access (EDA) External database access (EDA) provides
> > > the flexibility to store some or all of your data in either UniVerse
> > > files or an external database such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle and
> > > IBM DB2.
> > > EDA provides the ability to transparently access and update data from
> an
> > > existing UniVerse application. Graphical tools ease schema mapping and
> > > configuration management."
> > >

> > > Has 11.1 been a happy choice for you?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any advice and opinions-
> > > Harold Oaks
> > > Clark County
> > >

> > > This e-mail and related attachments and any response may be subject to
> public disclosure under state law.

John Thompson