The difference between "logic" and "syntax" is huge. Common reference
manuals are intended to provide details for people who already
understand the environment. In addition to the guide on techniques
referenced below, look for code at http://PickWiki.com. There you'll
find a lot of functional code in-context, which might be far more
helpful than tiny snippets in a reference manual.

As well as getting a formal education in programming, I originally
learned how to code by picking apart programs that I used. Knowing how
they worked allowed me to look at code and then work out exactly what
the lines of code did toward creating the experience that I already
understood. When I first started in the 1970's, I was playing games on
a TTY device like StarTrek, and at the time I picked apart the code
which was written in Fortran and BASIC. Over the years I found that
learning code through games was not only educational but fun too -
hacking the code to make the games better (or to cheat) provided the
developer experience of analyze, code, test, debug, repeat. Of course
there weren't many games written in COBOL, RPG, BAL, or a slew of
other languages I learned, but there was always some huge set of
examples to follow which demonstrated how to use the language - and
lots of examples of bad coding style as well.

With the internet, the best education one can get on mainstream
languages is available from code published as freeware, and in forums
where people post fully working code with questions and answers. I
just wish we had more exchanges like this in our industry but we don't
because there are so few newcomers. Don't hesitate to post "newbie"
questions here, or at the MVDBMS forum - we all like to help
newcomers.
http://groups.google.com/group/mvdbms/about

If you're going to learn Pick BASIC, look in your own system for
examples. That's how I learned Pick BASIC (and Proc, RPL, Access, etc)
- I spent my evenings reading code that made my company work.  Ask
other developers who have worked on your application about where some
small code items are which aren't going to be too big or overwhelming.
And ask them if there is any source code for games on the system. ;)

HTH

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
worldwide, and provides related development services
http://Nebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit http://PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno

> From: