Hi all,

> I wouldn't actually be surprised if QM is like PI.

Drifting away from U2 but the question was asked....

The initial implementation of dynamic files in QM was fairly close to that of
PI/open but it was totally reworked long before the
product went onto general release, resulting in some useful performance gains.

Like UV, a QM dynamic file is represented by a directory but the DATA.30 and
OVER.30 items become %0 and %1. Further items may exist
to hold alternate key indices.

The underlying mechanism of dynamic files is common to PI, PI/open, UV and QM
but UniData goes its own way. Although a couple of the
numbers have to be changed for UV, I think that the technical note at
http://www.openqm.org/downloads/dynamic_files.pdf is largely
applicable to UV, at least in principle. There are some substantial differences
in how the two products perform split/merge
operations, especially with regard to management of locking tables, but this is
not the right forum to discuss this further.

Interestingly, the UV Internals course used to state that the dynamic file
hashing algorithm was the same one as static file type
18. Experiments suggest that this is not true and it looks as though UV uses
the same public domain hashing algorithm that we chose
for QM.

As a useful tip for users running UV (or QM) on Windows systems, getting the
Windows memory caching parameters set correctly can
make a massive difference to performance.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB, England
+44 (0)1604-709200