:= doesn't care because a plain string has no concept of 'delimiters'
therefore no pointers/position to track other than beginning and end.
Agreed <-1> could be special cased to := BUT <3,-1> could not

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Dave Laansma
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:15 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] trimming a list (a test of your ability)

I'm puzzled by '... doesn't care ...' terminology. Of course it 'cares'
about pointers, it still has to get to the end of the 'string' one way
or another.

So, the question then is, does concatenation := establish and append to
a 'string' faster than <-1>?

And if so, why doesn't the database use the same logic for <-1> as it
does for := since technically they're accomplishing the same thing?

Sincerely,
David Laansma
IT Manager
Hubbard Supply Co.
Direct: 810-342-7143
Office: 810-234-8681
Fax: 810-234-6142
www.hubbardsupply.com
"Delivering Products, Services and Innovative Solutions"