Thanks everyone.  David, good idea.  The original premise was to try to
keep a Unidata program from overflowing the AIX spooler, which has a max
job # of 999.  We were hitting it with a couple thousand documents daily
(within a few minutes) and the premise was that if I had a job 615 in the
spooler, the next 615 that got generated (round robin) would overwrite the
first 615.  This has subsequently been disproven, so the delay is less of a
concern now.

But while I'm here... anyone know how to configure an AIX 5.3 print queue
daemon to have longer than 3 character job #'s?

-K