i remember when we had to bake and slice our own bread, now those were the days!!!

;-)

On 8/28/2012 7:32 PM, Charlie Noah wrote:
Yes, Dennis, it did. There are long technical explanations of how it worked, but it was indeed a clever, 'techie-appealing' concept. Back in the old Microdata days (yes, I'm that old), you could get in big trouble with the timeslice approach, though. If your timeslice was 50 ms, after that time everything you were doing got saved and the next process in line got the juice. There were certain things that released your timeslice, too, such as IO operations, etc. If you were doing disk access, and what you were working with got paged out of memory, you had to go get it again when your turn came around again. If that took too long, you went through the same thing again, and you might actually sit there all day and get nothing done. No wonder we worried about frame faulting. Ah, those were the days...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Charlie

Tiny Bear's Wild Bird Store
"Everything For The Backyard Bird Enthusiast, Except For The Birds"
http://www.TinyBearWildBirdStore.com
Toll Free: 1-855-TinyBear (855-846-9232)