From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of George Gallen
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:59 AM
To: U2 Users
Subject: [U2] Selection Suggestions for using UV instead of SQL

Ok.

I have file1 - "people" that has @ID of PID I have file2 - "registration" that
has @ID of PID+EID+RID  (EID = event id,  RID = registration id)

I want to select people who are not in the registration file with an EID of "1".

With an SQL statement - I could join the two, then do the select or use a
subquery (I'm on UV 10.0.2 - not sure if sub querys work) Just curious how this
could be done with UV Native, and without involving a program.

I first tried "SELECT REGISTRATION WITH EID = '1' SAVING UNIQUE PID" ->
"NSELECT PEOPLE"

But that returned 0 - since the NSELECT only works off the current select list,
not the whole file

Yes, I could create a temporary file, then select off that Yes, I could read
each people record, then loop through registration to see if it doesn't exist.
Both of the above require programming
I guess I could create a subroutine that does the looping through registration,
and put that into an I descriptor - looking for another option.

George