Pretty much the options I had thought - although on the json front I have
used  System.Web.Script.Serialization.JavaScriptSerializer for json serial
and deserial isation

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Brian Leach
Sent: 03 December 2012 16:15
To: 'U2 Users List'
Subject: Re: [U2] uniobjects.net

Simeon

There isn't a single standard, it depends on a) how easy it is to generate
the data in the first place and b) what you want to do with it after..

Going UniXML gives you the option to generate a dataset which is easy for
binding but has large overheads,  or more usefully to grab the content into
an XDocument and parse it into List<something_useful> using LINQ whilst
preserving the structure: the latter gives you more flexibility and you
don't need to normalize or navigate the parent/child relations created in a
dataset if you have multivalued data.

Of course you don't have to use UniXML to bring back XML for LINQ - you can
bring that back in a subroutine argument, having generated it directly in
BASIC. If you create a template for your XML document and for the row and
just use the CHANGE() function to populate placeholders, that's often
quicker than calling out to the XML features in the database - just make
sure you handle the escapes.

Ditto JSON, but unless you're calling from a web service consuming context
there isn't really the tooling exposed in .NET to then do anything useful
with it (there is a LINQ provider for JSON but it converts it into XML
behind the scenes before parsing).

If you want to work raw returning data from a subroutine, you can delimit
your records with char(255) and simply split() them on the client into an
array and possibly List<T>.AddRange(array). But you would still then have to
do the work of interpreting the individual record contents after separating
them.

All of which is an answer that is no answer..

Brian