We have a customer with a box as described in the subject that has recently
been experiencing something odd.  Overnight, the system will just lock up
and stop responding.  Normally there isn't anyone doing anything at night;
the backup runs, that sort of thing, but then some days when they come in
early in the morning the entire machine is unresponsive.  Connecting with
telnet there is no login prompt, just a blank screen.  It happened last
night and I've confirmed from the logs that the backup (which is using a
split mirror backup strategy) ran successfully and finished at 2:02am.
 Sometime between then and 4am, when there really should not have been
anything going on, it just locked up.

Are there any logs that can be enabled on AIX to record some evidence for
these kinds of failures so we can figure out what's going on with this
machine?

-K