Not sure what it's called in AIX/IBM speak but if it was a Solaris machine I'd
be finding the system console and looking at that to see if anything
interesting is showing. At least then you have a direct serial connection
(and/or K/B + monitor) facility to get directly to the host without relying on
telnet or any other communications daemon to be running.

Are you sure it's completely dead? What do you do to get back up and running
again? Does it come alive again suddenly? The aix server we have here sometimes
slows down so much during the nightly backup that it seems completely dead.
Apparently this is/was the disks being thrashed during the save and nothing
else gets a look in for ages.

As others have said - writing a sript to dump out current list of running
processes is a good idea. You might want to also include some other stuff like
the load averages and io activities on the system at the same time. See the
uptime, iostat, and vmstat commands. ThIssuing a sngle iostat or vmstat may not
always yield accurate results - my experience on Solaris is the first line of
output is trash and you need the next few lines to get a clearer picture. So an
'iostat 1 5' might get you a better idea as to where a potential bottleneck
might be.

I'd also be running a similar script during the day or at least a few times
during. This will give you a 'normal' point of reference to compare to the
overnight happenings.

Cheers
Peter