Perhaps we should apply a little Systems Analysis 101 here - ask some questions. I'm not convinced that the original request completely described the need.

What is the logical scenario (batch update, transaction entry, file maintenance, etc.)? Once a lock is removed, do you want your copy of the record to be written regardless of why it was locked in the first place, possibly overwriting someone else's changes?
Why do you want to do it this way?

I'm sure there are other questions, but these will do for a start. If, as Will suggested, this is a job application test, the OP should answer that more information is needed. Technically, what was described is completely doable, but is it the correct thing to do?

Regards,
Charlie Noah

Tiny Bear's Wild Bird Store
Home of "Safety Net Shipping"
http://www.TinyBearWildBirdStore.com
Toll Free: 1-855-TinyBear (855-846-9232)