Greg,

I may misunderstand your question, but if you have a field in the child file
that references the parent, and then create an index for this field on the
child file, it is fairly easy to create a subroutine to fetch the index values
from the parent file and translate them into whatever column(s) you want from
the child.

Then the parent can list values from the child with an itype like:

SUBR('*GETINDEXVALUES', childfilename, nameofindex, @ID (parent id) ); TRANS(
childfilename, childfilefield, @, 'X')
conversion
display name
format
M   * must be "M'

The advantage of using a field and an index in the child file is that there is
always a way to "resync" the data if there is a problem; just rebuild the index.

The subroutine should use named common to hold on to the values of @time and
other arguments to buffer the result, since you do not want the returned list
to change if you are evaluating two+ columns child columns in a single report.
Also, be sure that the list returned from the subroutine contains value marks
rather than field/attribute marks.

You could replace the subroutine with a translation to the child file's
INDEX.nnn file, but such a structure would be much more fragile.

Rick Nuckolls
Lynden Inc