hi jacques,

I'll add some elements.Here in Luxemburg, we use french & german languages then
I have some experience with "extended" characters.

To store the extended chars, if you choose codepage OEM862 or Windows-1255 ,
you work on single byte coding the both don't re-define chars 252,253,254 then
no-prob with sv'ed, mv'ed data.

Regarding sortorder, yes, use Right justification.

For display, your "client" must works with a compatible codepage font and
communication must be set to 8 bits.

For printing, your printers must known the codepage font.

If you choose unicode, you must turn Universe/NLS on. At basic runtime, UV
works as unicode multi-byte (reread your basic code regarding chars
manipulations) then  be carefull to understand there is only one "language
declaration" per file/device - when possible use "unicode".

Problems start when you need display hebrew, french or russian chars on the
same screen and a non-unicode client !

my two pence
Manu

"Jacques G." <jacque...@yahoo.com> a écrit :

Hello,

Has anyone here ever used Universe with a Hebrew character set ?  Is it
neccessary to to with a full 16-bit Unicode character set or are there older
8-bit character sets that are useable ?  Also since text is apparently read
from right to left (like in arabic) how are sorts affected ?  (Must dictionnary
elements be changed from left justified to right justified ?)

Jacques G.