Peter,

Thanks for digging for more information.  It sounds to me like RLOWNER was set
to the RLTABSZ, effectively saying that every read lock associated with a given
semaphore group could be a READL lock.  Since every READL lock would displace a
possible READU lock, you could, with 300 separate processes accessing the same
record in the same file, make it impossible anyone to get a READU lock in the
same semaphore group.

Likewise, by having a smaller number of processes perform READL's on multiple
files, but coincidently use the same semaphore group, you could obtain the same
blocked condition.

Admittedly, both conditions seem unlikely, and if you are running a system with
that many READL locks routinely active, "why bother?", no one is ever going to
be updating anything!

I would think that a better rule would be to limit the value of RLOWNER to 50%
of RLTABSZ, just to keep some room for quasi-normal function if some developer
decided to create an application that used a READL on a specific file/record to
communicate to other processes in ill-considered ways.

Cheers,
Rick