From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Kevin King
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:15 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] [OT] Interview Questions

David, I've used many of these questions in the past but where it fell
down was that it didn't give any real picture of technical ability. The
one question I've been using lately to assess technical thinking is "how
would you calculate the last Thursday in a month?" The answers have been
everywhere from accurate to sheer ridiculous. The unexpected takeaway
from this question is that it has helped to identify people who simply
want to answer quickly without thinking - not a good trait unless the
answer is right and to date that's happened a total of zero times - vs
people who think first and then give a reasoned response.

I've just found it too easy for people to stretch the truth when
explaining their technical ability, so I'm asking questions intended to
give some evidence.

On Saturday, December 14, 2013, David Sharp wrote:

> [...]
> What single project
> or task would you consider the most significant accomplishment in your

> career so far?
>

> *
> Can you give me a detailed overview of the accomplishment?
>
> *
> Tell me about the company, your title, your position, your role, and
> the team involved.
>
> *
> What were the actual results achieved?
>
> *
> When did it take place and how long did the project take.
>
> *
> Why you were chosen?
>
> *
> What were the 3-4 biggest challenges you faced and how did you deal
> with them?
>
> *
> Where did you go the extra mile or take the initiative?
>
> *
> Walk me through the plan, how you managed to it, and if it was
> successful.
>
> *
> Describe the environment and resources.
>
> *
> Describe your manager's style and whether you liked it or not.
>
> *
> Describe the technical skills needed to accomplish the objective and
> how they were used.
>
> *
> Some of the biggest mistakes you made.
>
> *
> Aspects of the project you truly enjoyed.
>
> *
> Aspects you didn't especially care about and how you handled them.
>
> *
> How you managed and influenced other, with lots of examples.
>
> *
> How you changed and grew as a person.
>
> *
> What you would do differently if you could do it again.
>
> *
> What type of formal recognition did your receive?
>

> Regards,
> David Sharp
> > Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:27:18 -0800
> > From: i...@keyway.net <javascript:;>
> > To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org <javascript:;>
> > Subject: Re: [U2] [OT] Interview Questions
> >
> > Please email me in regards to your ads. I am currently in between
> > contracts/assignments/projects and looking for my next assignment.
> > Multivalue languages I have been programming in:
> >
> > * CACHE (language: MV BASIC)
> > * INFORMATION (language: INFO/BASIC)
> > * jBASE (language: jBC, jBASE BASIC, jBASIC)
> > * MENTOR System (language: DATA/BASIC, DATABASIC, DATA BASIC)
> > * MVENTERPRISE (language: MVENTERPRISE BASIC)
> > * MVON/ONWARE (language: ONWARE BASIC)
> > * OPENINSIGHT (language: BASIC+)
> > * OPENQM, QM (language: QMBASIC)
> > * PICK, Advanced PICK, D3 (language: PICK BASIC)
> > * Power95 (language: DATA/BASIC, DATABASIC, DATA BASIC)
> > * REALITY System (language: DATA/BASIC, DATABASIC, DATA BASIC)
> > * REVELATION, Advanced REVELATION (language: R/BASIC, REVELATION
BASIC)
> > * UNIDATA (language: UNIBASIC)
> > * UNIVERSE (language: UNIVERSE BASIC)
> > * UNIVISION (language: UVBASIC)
> > * WebSphere DataStage (language: DSBASIC, DataStage BASIC)
> >
> > Robert Norman, Multivalue Programmer/Analyst
> > (951) 541-1668
> >
> > On 10/7/2013 7:35 PM, Kevin King wrote:
> > > This is not specifically a job posting, but I do have ads up on
> Monster and
> > > LinkedIn looking for talent.
> > >
> > > At the risk of confessing too much, I have historically been far
too
> easy
> > > in the interview process.  As a result, I have had some
> less-than-excellent
> > > hires and spent far too much time and money trying to rescue
> > > underperforming and/or recalcitrant staff.  Therefore, I'm
planning to
> be
> > > much more discriminating this time around, and am building a
series of
> > > technical questions to help quickly identify those that have the
right
> > > skills, abilities, and attitude for our team compared to those who
may
> not.
> > >
> > > That being said, I have a question for the group:
> > >
> > > Technical questions aside, what are the best interview questions
you've
> > > asked, been asked, or otherwise heard about that help
differentiate