In my experience, sudden slowness can usually be traced back to any of several different reasons.

-  Recently added software.
-  Too many temporary files.
-  Fragmented hard drive.
-  Hackers.

You also have to determine if you have enough memory for your system. I have seen people run a basic system fine with minimal memory. Then they started adding drivers that run in the background, and over a period of time it slows down since they have exceeded the memory's capacity. The solution in this particular case is more memory. There is formula you can use to determine if you have enough memory for your number of ports, usage, etc. Look for it in your admin manual.

An upgrade doesn't always speed things up; sometimes they have added so many new features that it adds slowness. You can see this with Windows a lot. Sometimes you can avoid upgrading the more expensive hardware (motherboard, CPU, etc.) by getting higher performance controller cards, like cards with caching controllers and/or onboard CPUs to decentralize processing.

Robert Norman

ROBERT NORMAN AND ASSOCIATES
23441 Golden Springs Dr., #289, Diamond Bar, CA 91765
(951) 541-1668
i...@keyway.net <mailto:i...@keyway.net>
http://users.keyway.net/~ice/ <http://users.keyway.net/%7Eice/>
Affordable computer consulting services and computer programming for
UNIVERSE, UNIDATA, PICK/BASIC, DATA/BASIC, UniVerseBasic,
UniBasic, R/BASIC, jBC.

"Call us for more info about our $50 hourly telecommuting rate"