Curious why you are doing this as a user exit?
iirc, there are differences between using an A and an Itype. In an itype, the
subroutine is called just once for each item in the file. With an A-type, the
subroutine is going to be called once for each value/subvalue in the attribute
referenced by the amc on line 2 of the dictionary entry (which in this case is
0 so there will only be once value, but be careful using it on other attributes
in the item)

The subroutine needs to be cataloged with a "$" prefix, $RNS.CB.MAS.SUB rather
than just RNS.CB.MAS.SUB, and I think it needs to be cataloged globally.
>From the universe manual:

Cataloging User Exits
Once you have written and compiled the UniVerse BASIC subroutine, you must
catalog the program. User exits are cataloged globally by specifying the user
exit
name with a dollar sign in front of it. For example, to catalog the user exit
U50MB
in the example shown earlier, use the CATALOG command as follows:
>CATALOG
        CATALOG NAME or LOCAL = $50MB
        FILENAME = APP.PROGS
        PROGRAM NAME = 50MB
Or you can use the form:
>CATALOG APP.PROGS $50MB
Like any other program, a user exit must be compiled before you can catalog it.
See
Chapter 8, “ UniVerse BASIC,” for more information about cataloging UniVerse
BASIC programs.

Cataloging Programs in PICK Accounts
PICK and IN2 flavor accounts do not permit global cataloging; therefore you
must
either catalog the program in a different flavor account or create an
INFORMATION
flavor CATALOG entry in your PICK account. To create an INFORMATION flavor
CATALOG entry, create a VOC entry which is the same as the entry for CATALOG,
except that field 6 is defined as INFORMATION.FORMAT instead of
PICK.FORMAT.