& it's been that way for, oh I dunno, going back to PI, 30+ years?
That's in input mode.

Here are some related ED facts about edit-mode that I've found Pickies (vs. Primates) don't seem to know:

R<space> <enter>   replaces current line with a blank line.

I<space>this is some text<enter>
will insert a line "this is some text"but leave yoiu in edit-mode, not insert-mode.

IB will put you in input mode BEFORE the line you're on.

IB<space>this is a some text<enter>
   will insert a line "this is some text"  BEFORE the current line
   but leave yoiu in edit-mode, not insert-mode.

There  is a bit of an inconsistency with IB:
Inserts a blank line BEFORE current line. I don't know why 2 spaces are needed. Oh, well.

R<enter>   repeats the previous full-line Replacement
C<enter>   repeats the previous Change command.
R this is some text<enter>
    replaces thw whole line.
R/ABC/XYZ
  is really  C/ABC/XYZ

So if you pickies are used to saying
    R/ABC/XYZ/
That is really a Change command,   C/ABC/XYZ.
So subsequent C<enter> will repeat your R/ABC/XYZ/

Finally, there is the actually helpful HELP<enter> command. (Check out HELP SEQ<enter>.)

AE aficionados may quibble over the ED motto, "The very finest of 1970s technology!"

cds