a crazy idea, but you could use emacs - it even works on character based
terminals, so no client side to install.  it can spell check and do
autocorrection using flyspell-mode (though it sounds like abbrev-mode is
more like what you want).  i shudder to think of training users in emacs
though :-)

rather than transferring the files around, how about a web based
editor?  seems better than installing something on the client and
dealing with uploads.

http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm is free, or
http://www.telerik.com/?context=products&step=1 looks nifty.

you could have the terminal fire off a browser, and when they click
"submit" the text would be saved back via cgi and the browser window
closed...

ian

--
Ian McGowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>