Title: Message
To give you an example of how we used a distributed file ...

We created several "normal" files, called "ENQUIRIES.YY" where YY was the year. Because our first year was 86, we created a partfile-definition i-descriptor of "YY-85". Now, YY *MUST* be a part of the @ID. Partfile 1 was ENQUIRIES.86, partfile 2 was ENQUIRIES.87, etc etc.

All of these files are just *NORMAL* files except, when you try to write to them, the file write evaluates the i-descriptor based on the record key, and if the result doesn't match partfile number, the write will fail.

You can now create *AS* *MANY* F VOC entries as you wish, containing in field 2 a multi-value list of os-level-file-names. And you can access these just like any normal file.

What I think happens is that, for ALL opens, the OPEN looks for a mv list in field 2, then opens the first file in the list. If this file has a part algorithm, it flags the file as distributed, and checks the part number for all files in the FILE. Then when you try to read or write, it evaluates the algorithm and goes to whichever partfile matches. If the partfile doesn't exist (there's no obligation for it to), then the read or write fails.

So, when we were producing "calendar year" reports, we'd just report on the (apparently) normal file ENQUIRIES.87. If we wanted the 87 financial year, we would again just report on the (apparently) normal file ENQUIRIES.8687, which just happened to have a VOC entry

00001: F
00002: ENQUIRIES.86 @vm ENQUIRIES.87
00003: D_ENQUIRIES.

And should we need it, we had a super-file called ENQUIRIES. which had a mv list of all the files, so we could report on that if we needed a list of every transaction by a given customer.

This actually is a very good use of distributed files, where data is time sensitive, rapidly obsolete, but occasionally wanted for reports back to the year dot. Especially if data is generated like there's no tomorrow ...

Oh - and watch out if you use indices - once you've got your brain round it it's quite intuitive :-) Good Prime design again :-)

Cheers,
Wol