Gene,

I would begin by eliminating UniObjects from the suspects.

The easiest way is to write a short vbscript routine. If you don't already
know how to do this (you probably do) create it in notepad and give it a VBS
extension, and you should be able to double click on it to run it. If not,
type WSCRIPT filename.vbs.

The script below will check that objects will instantiate and connect
correctly.

Dim UV

If DoConnection() = False Then
   Msgbox "Could not connect"
Else
   Msgbox "Connected to server"
   ReadFromVOC
End If

Function DoConnection()
   Dim HostName
   Dim UserName
   Dim AccountPath
   Dim Password

'=============================
' Set the host name, user name and account path to your system
'=============================
   HostName = "myhostname"
   UserName = "myuser"
   AccountPath = "uv"
   Password = InputBox("Password for " & UserName & " on " & HostName)
   IsUniData = False

   If CreateSession() = False Then
      Msgbox "Could not create session"
      DoConnection = False
      Exit Function
   End If

   UV.HostName = HostName
   UV.UserName = UserName
   UV.AccountPath = AccountPath
   UV.Password = Password
   If IsUniData Then
      UV.DatabaseType = 2
' not all versions of objects support this - you may need to comment this in
or out.
   'Else
        'UV.DatabaseType = 1
   End If

   UV.Connect
   If UV.Error <> False Then
      Msgbox "Error returned from connect = " & UV.Error
      DoConnection = False
      Exit Function
   Else
      DoConnection = True
   End If

End Function

Function CreateSession()
   On Error Resume Next
   Err = False

   CreateSession = True

' try each of the names that have been given to the various versions of
Objects ...
   Set UV = CreateObject("UniObjects.UnioaifCtrl.1")
   If (Err <> False) Or (UV Is Nothing) Then
        Err = False
        Set UV = CreateObjects("uniobjects.session.1")
        If (Err <> False) Or (UV Is Nothing) Then
           Err = False
           Set UV = CreateObject("universe.session.1")
           If (Err <> False) Or (UV Is Nothing) Then
                CreateSession = False
           End If
        End If
   End If