I hope you corrected the wiki if you found any mistakes :-) It's
basically a write-up of what I did (and still do when I need to validate
files).

The verbose HS.UPDATE.FILEINFO doesn't catch problems with individual
files - it lets you know if it's fallen over and left a load of files
unprocessed - that caught us badly :-(

I'm guessing from the error that you might have a load of spaces or
other invisible crud in field 3! You could try deleting it and typing it
in again. I think I've known that work ...

Step one - make sure all the i-types have been compiled.
step two - if that doesn't work, delete all the itypes and see if the
file appears okay
step three - if that doesn't work, scream and shout! Otherwise, add the
itypes back one by one, making sure they're compiled, that you can list
them from tcl, etc etc.

I've never used just plain "varchar", so I haven't direct experience of
what you've done. And you might try removing the itypes just from
@SELECT rather than from the DICT. That might work, and might make
eliminating the problem easier.

The other thing - can you export the problem file directly? I think
we've had problems where the trans'd (or whatever) file had the problem
there.

When you get odbc problems, they're a sod, aren't they :-) I think
you're going to have to just logically eliminate every possibility one
by one. Use this email list copiously to make sure you understand what
you're doing, then write the problem up and add it to the wiki :-)

Cheers,
Wol