For an example of what's possible, see these links:
http://Nebula-RnD.com/products/analysis.htm
http://Nebula-RnD.com/demos/nebulanalysis/ (audio/video presentation)

Unattended, all Pick BASIC, no CSV files or XML or other file I/O or
translations, full formatting with charts and all other features of Excel.

Internally I've written a COM-AddIn for Excel that listens for socket calls
and processes the requests - that's a fast and direct pipe, no intermediate
formatting.

Another benefit of this is that many users in an office can share a single
copy of Excel on a given host, or the MV server can use the Excel that's on
the MV client PC.

NebulAnalysis is not being offered over U2 at this time as a product but I
am willing to implement the features as a service.  It's been a long time
since I've done anything with this, honestly because most people are quite
happy with  the traditional mess of writing a CSV, doing some manual import,
then manually reformatting after they've done the import.  In a world where
people want everything automated I really don't understand this intense
desire to do everything manually with Excel.

Inquiries welcome.
Tony, Nebula R&D
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Moderator for Spectrum, Las Vegas)