Daniel,

Word files are binary format and are not changeable by this technique: the characters are positionally important in the document structure and any changes in length will screw the doc completely..

You can go for a number of approaches at various levels of technicality, but the simplest is just to save the document as Rich Text Format into a Type 19 file, and you can then easily do a CHANGE() function replace on the contents. I can't remember exactly, but mail merge fields are identified by a fairly obvious prefix, something like "\MERGEFIELD name". It's worth reading up a little about RTF format (the format is published and publically available on the web) before you do so you know some of the escape characters when replacing.

Brian Leach

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:09:29 -0500