In a message dated 3/5/2004 8:13:10 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The whole point of using transactions is to ensure data integrity.
> Writing across a network is a pretty sure-fire way of inviting integrity
> problems.
> The only way to guarantee that you don't have problems is to ban mixing
> the two.

Interesting and yes I know this is supposedly banned.  But I would think
rather than ban it, a two (or three) stage commit could be instituted that would
allow it.  Or perhaps this would be a four stage commit let's see.

1) Write all the updates to a pending buffer.
2) Transfer any writes for other machines to those other machines.
3) The other machines do the writes, reserving a not yet committed flag.
4) The local machine does its writes the same way.
5) Final step is to trip all the flags ...

Something like that anyway.  Of course I can see why something that
complicated would be outlawed but it seems possible.
Will