At what version of Universe was this added? I still use my "Universe Quick Reference" from version 8.3.1 because of its ease of use and completeness. If anyone knows of a comparable book (its wire bound, remember, so you can lay it down to use a keyboard/mouse) for version 10, PLEASE let me know. I realize that online publishing of manuals is all the current rage, but there is a place for a compact, complete, summary reference book

Craig Bennett wrote:

Trevor,

Now Will raises a terrific question. If A = "1" assigns 1 as numeric. How
would you determine if A contained a numeric or a string in this case?

in UV I think you want the DESCRINFO function

According to the manual, DESCRINFO(X, 1) returns

0 unassigned variable
1 integer
2 numeric
3 string