Steve Mayo wrote:

> I am trying to put together a demo application using
> UniObject for Java. I
> would like to be able to create a statement that selects
> names that start
> with "SMI". In Unibasic I would use the following statement:
>
> SELECT UBFMSTR WITH LAST.NAME = "SMI]"
>
> The Java statement I used is:
>
> uCommand.setCommand ("SELECT UBFMSTR WITH LAST.NAME = 'SMI]'")

If this is running against UniData then I suspect your problem is that
UniObjects is set up to run UniQuery commands in ECLTYPE 'u' and the "=
'SMI]'" wildcard matching syntax is a PICKism that only works in ECLTYPE
'p'.  Instead you should try using:

uCommand.setCommand ("SELECT UBFMSTR WITH LAST.NAME LIKE 'SMI...'")

HTH,

Ken