Mark,
Technically Overview:
Using some sort of a schedule, you identify new and modified data on the Great Plains system, and move just that data to the MV system, converting the layout and data.

That leaves you with the following discreet tasks:
How do you identify new or modified data in Great Plains?
How do you move and transform the data?
How fresh does the data have to be? (i.e. what is the User's expectation weighted against the network overhead of 'shipping' the data.)
How do you schedule that move and transform?

Management Overview:
Tax law (in the US, I believe you are in the US) will require you to keep records going back at least 5 years. Therefore, the old system needs to be available. Since it will have to be up and intact, you see a major cost and performance savings in using that already paid for hardware and already developed software to act as a data warehouse.
If they want to move those reports in the future, they can do it in a controlled manner, without having a loss of productivity or information. Not using the older system as a data warehouse will apply pressure to complete these functions now, adding cost and delaying the needed flow of information.
--

    Sincerely,
         Charles Barouch

Mark Johnson wrote:

This sounds very tempting, using MV as a data warehouse to a non-MV (or MV)
primary application. Does anyone else have any insight on how this flies,
management-wise or technically.

I like it as all of the original reports are already written and tested and
it keeps the customer a MV customer.

Thanks
Mark Johnson