From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Johnson
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 10:05 PM
To: U2 Users Discussion List
Subject: Conversions

Does anyone have a short paper on the care and feeding of both the company
and its employees during a conversion/migration from one system to another.

I'm facilitating a migration from MV/Results/Primac to Great Plains and it
is a very large mismatch. GP seems to be shopping-cart oriented and
Results/Primac are more of a traditional Order Entry system.

I can't seem to convey that difference as management (read: those who don't
use the computer) like the GUI and all of the nice links and screens. The
worker bees are in a turmoil with the increased amount of carpal-tunnel
potential mouse/keyboard back and forth as well as the absense of many
functions that were present under the MV app. Their productivity has fallen
75% as it takes 4x longer to enter an order.

There are no sales tax lookups, no product or customer lookups. You clearly
cannot scroll through 35,000 line items. There's no easy alternate shipping
addresses and the original reports leave a lot to be desired. The accounting
package is appealing but a company doesn't exist just for the accounting
dept. Not to mention all the hamburger-helper features i've installed over
the last 6.5 years.

I also have to fabricate custom reports with Crystal Reports and/or Access
as there are many fields of data that should be there like customer back
orders, sample customers, customer categories and a whole truckload of sales
reporting fields that simply don't exist. Am I wrong in concluding that
Great Plains is just a glorified shopping cart application.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of mis-match, especially with great
plains. At least i could inform the users that others have these growing
pains. There doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel for them.

thanks in advance.