Jim the short answer is you can't.
You can however strip all non printable characters by passing the data
through OCONV(mydata, "MCP")
This turns all non printables into the period character "."
To seperate your fields, pass the data through a conversion like
CONVERT(VM,"|", mydata)
which will turns all VM's into the vertical bar character
and so on

Excel has no problem with variable length fields, it has a problem with how
to determine where they end.
It can read standard comma-seperated data however, so pass your data through
CONVERT(AM,",",mydata) to indicate where each field ends.

However Multi-value data is not first normal form, it has embedded tables
whenever you have VM, SVM or TM characters within one field.  Excel will not
understand what to do with this.  For that you would need a programmer.

Let me see if I know one around here....

Will Johnson
Fast Forward Technologies  <-- "I put the ech in tech"