From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 7:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: UV to Text Conversion Standard?

I am hopeful someone can offer me some guidance.

I have to move data off of my Universe system and send it to a PC for
inclusion in a Excel Spreadsheet.

Some background:
Source data is alpha/ numeric and contains VM's, SVMs and TM
Source data fields are variable lengths

Requirements:
Output must be fixed length
Output must be importable into Excel (column definitions will be based on a
fixed length map)

My problem:
I think Excel will choke on VMs, SVMs and TM characters. Is there a
standard , ASCII character that I should use to represent them? To further
complicate things, sone of the fields represent data that was input with
little (or no restrictions), ie. any character on the keyboard was
considered valid.

Thanks

Jim