Goo'day, Bob,

At 15:42 15/04/04, you wrote:

I'm not wanting to discuss the actual metric. We're having the regular
debate about should we keep going with UV and if not what should we
consider. One of the strengths of MV platforms has always been that they
allow programmers to develop quickly. I'm hoping to be able to quantify that
rather than give management the benefit of a gut feel.

Back in the days of yore, we "calculated" similar jobs at an overall rate of 2/5ths VM ("Pick" in those days) involvement to "normal" (then-)mainstream COBOL & "4GL" development. (I use the quotes advisedly! <g>).

As often as it was checked, it seemd to work out at about that rate - sufficient for manpower/estimating/costing/quoting, anyway. And it wasn't only the 5 "normal" people (I use the quotes advisedly! <g>) vs 2 Pickies either.....

But, put it this way: 2 ("qualified S&P") Pickies seemed to achieve about what the 5 ( S/A, S&P, programmers + 1 trainee) others did in their suite........At the same time, salary comparisons were at about a 4:1 ratio, so Pick jobs cost about 1/4 t'other - as far as labour was concerned. On-costs, secretarial, management, offices, furniture, phone, etc, lessened that ratio a bit......

YMMV.....

Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Regards,

Bruce Nichol