Do the metrics take the impact of tools into account ? Some of the examples I've
looked at seem to include "all" lines of code produced from an environment like Delphi
or VB, even though >80% of this "code" is produced from the IDE.

I'm sure the same would be true of tools like SB+, and certainly with our Viságe
product, though in both cases this would be offset to a degree by the effort involved
in "smartening up" dictionaries

Many of the "things" that historically required "hard code" can now be reduced to
parameter settings for an "object" - how do you measure this ? Or the flow through
effect of changing an output conversion from, say, D2/ to D4/, in an active dictionary
environment.

The productivity impact is obvious - but how do you quantify that sort of "gain" ?
especially when it may be tempered by the fact that other parts of an
organization/system may still be using "old fashioned", hand crafted PickBasic ?

(I don't really want/need an answer to this, as I think the "results" could be skewed
to show "anything", and the time taken to gain the result/insight could be longer than
the time taken to get the job done ?!?)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage - an Evolution in Software Development

---