From: uai-boun...@engr.orst.edu [mailto:uai-boun...@engr.orst.edu] On Behalf Of
Paul Snow
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 3:24 AM
To: uai@engr.orst.edu
Subject: Re: [UAI] A perplexing problem

Dear Paul,

If the Weather Channel is Bayesian, then say they used that empricial
prior that you did (5%), and they observed evidence E to arrive at
their 70% for the snow S given E.

Their Bayes' ratio is 44.3. Yours, effectively, is 10 (assuming that
the event "They say 70%" coincides with "They observe evidence with a
Bayes ratio in the forties" - that is, they agree with you about the
empirical prior and are Bayesian).

So, having effectively disagreed with them about the import of what
they observed, you also disagreed with them about the conclusion.

Hope that helps,

Paul