Hi,
On Di, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:49:46 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Halim Sahin wrote:
> > Hi Eric,
> > Can you please explain why we need a new  audio  system and not using
> > alsa directly???
>
> because Alsa is broken.  It does not work well with wine.  It does not work
> well
> with USB microphones for speech recognition.  It does not support two sound
> devices at the same time.  For example, I listen to Pandora on my laptop
> soundcard and I use speech recognition with my USB headset.  Windows it
> mostly
> works.  Linux, it bites

I can listen to anything and use my usb logitech headset for voip
conferencing.
Maybe your problems are configuration mistakes?

It will be interesting how pulseaudio can give more stability if the
layer (alsa) is broken.
With broken alsa drivers you can't get more stability.
for usb devices?
BTW. I am using alsa about 10 years and had no problem with it.
I am using voip with my usb logitech head set (twinkle) without
problems.

> > If you want to use a soundserver why not jack or esd?
>
> why was pulse audio built instead of using them?  Ego?  Cluelessness?

You know that under linux we have many alternatives.
Pa is one of these but first it should be stable for using it as default
soundserver in all ubuntu setups.

> > It's really difficult to understand why ubuntu's audiosystem is broken
> > for
> > people with disabliilities since 7.10.
> > this doesn't need money.
> > This need only
> > the use of stable software.
> > (pa isn't stable yet).
>
> There isn't any stable audio software.  It's all broken from a USB, multiple
> source perspective.  the money is to pay somebody to write code to fix the
> glaring bugs, architectural faults, and missing device drivers.

Do you know the alsa dsnoop plugin?
Have you even talked to alsa developers??

> > What about the working console setup?
> > All console screenreaders can't use the audio system when pa starts in
> > desktop session.
>
> Another example of brokenness.  Audio developers are not thinking through the
> use cases properly.

Clarification:
Ubuntu's audio setup is broken because the a11y need were ignored since 2
years.

""
The people who want to implement all services in usersession should try
to use their monitor  only after login.
It can be a security risk if they can watch boot messages or use a plain
textconsole.
""