On 7/11/06, Troy James Sobotka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 21:15 -0400, jmak wrote:

> I keep continue working on the xubuntu artworks, as Jani Monoses the
> chief developer of xubuntu asked me to do so; so far, we have done
> some preliminary decisions regarding edgy;

Yes.  He suggested that you should perhaps be the point man for
the Xubuntu look.

>  for instance, we have
> decided that in terms of look and feel we would prefer a distinct
> character for xubuntu rather than just copy the ubuntu desktop.

People are very confused on this.  All of desktops will remain
distinct.

That said, it would be nice if they shared a common level of
professionalism.  It would also be nice if they looked as though
they had some sort of family connectivity on some level.

Unfortunately, this cycle is extremely short, and we are primarily
working towards getting the structure in place.

> Currently, I have been working on new logo and gdm greeter ideas; also
> on a new splash animation that will eventually replace the current
> one.

You should at least involve yourself with the process.  It has been
quite successful thus far, and might open you up to some interesting
insights from others.

All professional environments rely on workshopping of some sort, and I
would encourage you to do the same.  The process we have established
is nothing more than an extension of this.

Proposals should be loose - using the textures you develop out of a
ponder phase as a very loose direction.

> More less, I follow what has been going on this list and will be more
> in touch, as soon as things get a bit more definite.

Things are already definite.  If you wish to participate in the
process, we would love to have you.  Not many people even know that
XUbuntu exists.  Further still, if you expose your ideas to
workshopping, people are able to steer you in a generally
stronger direction.

Also, it gives the folks higher up the food chain a chance to see
the look and perhaps offer guidance.

This is what I have done so far.

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/4739/greeter2withshadow9hn.png

We thought that creating a chrome looking logo would go well with the
xubuntu blue. We also thought that using only the logo without the
word 'xubuntu' is probably a good idea.  So I am working along these
lines as developing the other artworks as well.
In the images, I try to avoid using gradients and textures, because
they have the tendency to increase file size and xubuntu developers
insist that all artworks should be as small as possible. Ultimately,
what I am after is striking a healthy balance between the fancier
stuff like the chrome logo and plain colors like backgrounds.
Right now, I am trying to figure out how to create a drop shadow
behind the username box in the log-in screen (look at the picture).
This probably needs hacking the xubuntu.xml file.
If anyone has any idea about this it would be great.

Regards,
J. Mak
--
http://jozmak.googlepages.com/