On 07/11/2007, Troy James Sobotka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> > I'm not sure what kind of elegance you are looking for,
>
> I don't believe it is a far stretch to suggest that a notion
> of elegant is probably rooted in notions that we dug up from
> the Art Nouveau and Art Deco eras.  Typified by curving line
> work, delicate lines, and like details.
>
> > but a good point
> > for giving a tango-styled icon theme a shot is that is what GNOME
> > upstream is using and a whole bunch of 3rd party developers. [1]. I
> > haven't seen another style for GNOME with the same coverage yet. I think
> > it would be really cool if we could start focusing on the final focus on
> > the remaining bits instead of the 12-14 base icons over and over again.
>
> As much as I completely respect the Tango project and all that it
> has done for GNOME, I would still question the destination.  If we
> end up with a fully Tango'd desktop, I would wonder if that could
> be considered 'bliss'.  Even with 100% coverage, I believe aesthetically
> it is not an ideal route -- and certainly not an ideal route for
> a culture that should probably be priding itself on diversity.
> Consistency for consistency's sake shouldn't be a goal unto itself.

What I also tried to say before was that a theme "consistent" with Tango
would be great. That way Tango  fall back icons wouldn't stand out as much
as they do now.

> Mike Beltzner recently pointed out that the interface unpredictability
> > was the reasoning behind giving Firefox 3 the Vista look on Linux. We're
> > working that issue out with them though.
>
> Probably the greatest point raised.  That said, having a Tango'd Firefox
> is no better in my mind than having the application maintain a distinct
> styling if it is solid.  In Mozilla's case, their work is quite tight.

Firefox looks ok in stock ubuntu because the visual style is similar to the
human one. On a full Tango desktop it stands out like a sore thumb.

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > 4) The uniform Metacity to GTK Patel window is top shelf, even if a bit
> >    OSX.  Another +1 from me.
> >
> > What image are you refering to here?
>
> The manner in which the top window border is indistinguishable between
> the lower interface box.

I like the concept, but the actual example is a bit (read: quite) unfinished
to my eyes.

> 6) Glossy is done like dinner.  It is completely mooky to keep following
> >    that path, as it was way back in Edgy.
> >
> > Sorry, but I don't understand that sentence. Are you for or againt
> gloss?
>
> Against.  Certainly not a trend to follow into the future.

But what visual theme then? - I'm game for just about anything. The good
thing about gloss is that it is relatively easy to do. Subtle matte themes
can be quite difficult to get right (but look great). I remember spending a
lot of time on  getting the right dry/dusty silicon feel for the background
in Silicon http://grillbar.org/Silicon/Silicon.png.

Cheers,
Mikkel