On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 17:44 +0100, François Degrave wrote:
> Vishnoo a écrit :

> >> referencing to Ms applications not supported under Linux.
> >> > >
> > The icon is used only when someone is saving the file to be MS office
> > complaint.
> > Why cant we stop using that format , rather than nit-pick over what one
> > has just chosen to continue to support?

> >> know, there is no reference to Adobe in the pdf files icons.
> >>

> > I'd suggest you check again ;)
> > > Ok well, you are right. And that is basically... lame. Evince is the
> default PDF reader, why should the icon be related to Adobe?

There is a difference between PDF and Adobe / Evince.   :)

PDF is an _open_ Portable Document Format. and the logo isnt even been
used in full. ;)

Adobe is a company with several apps and "Reader" , "Acrobat" is the pdf
reader and editor respectively. Note the adobe logo isnt used. Their
logo is different.

Evince is an app too and not a format ...

Ok sorry obviously you widely misunderstood my point, maybe I was not clear enough in my previous mail. Of course, the icon for the pdf *filetype* is a reference to adobe; it is red/white with a big A in it -- see attached. That is not acceptable (nor is it to put a "ms word" or "ms powerpoint" logo in a *filetype* icon). The only thing the user has to know is that it is a pdf file, period. In MacOsX, the icon is like that (ok that's a .ps here, but it's the same for .pdf): http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/docs/openoffice-mac/temp-ps-file.png Do you see a reference to Adobe Reader? No of course, because it is not the default reader. Putting a reference to Adobe makes the user think it will open with Adobe when double-clicking on the file.

The problem is the same for the psd file icon (attached): why putting a Photoshop logo? The user only has to know it is an image, with the psd extension. The photoshop logo is a nonsense here.

(You can try asking the evince developers if they think it is a good idea to have icons for *pdf filetype* referencing to Adobe by default in Ubuntu, I'm pretty sure what the answer will be. Same with OpenOffice developers and doc, xls and ppt files icons.)

Cheers,

François

In short there shouldn't be in ANY icon of ANY filetype whatsoever that carries a reference to an *app which is not installed on the system*.

<<inline: gnome-mime-application-pdf.svg>>

<<inline: gnome-mime-image-x-psd.svg>>