On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 21:19 +0300, Сергей wrote:

> You know, John is not the only person on this list who acts first and
> discusses later. And I think we ALL should be more collaborative.

Owl was created way in the past as a trial to see if cchost could offer
us the same functions that are enjoyed by the Debian team and their
cchost deployment.

Because it's php based(1) and because of various technical
challenges(2), it could never be an official site. When discussing this
issue at UDS with the majority of Art team members and Canonical design
people it was apparent that it wasn't suitable; if it was useful for a
stop gap it could be used for this cycle while we worked out our tools.

It is not just a lack of leadership that hurts this team, but a complete
lack of technical tools with which to base a team on. It's quite clear
that flickr, like deviantArt, is not suitable as a base of operations
for all we need to do and constantly sorting between the ubuntu wiki and
these external image caches isn't effective.

And I think it's the rejection of flickr technologically is what has
Baer behaving so horrendously. But even that, with humility, or sense of
friendship could have been worked on and we could have gotten a team
leadership together which included him.

That isn't happening now.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

(1) Canonical doesn't allow php websites on their servers, too insecure.
(2) We don't have any php developers and the site's kindly donated
machine moved from 8.04 to 10.04 and php4 to php5. That crippled the
whole functionality of it and it was abandoned.