I updated yesterday - with sudo apt dist-upgrade - and since then have
been experiencing this issue.
I log in normally, the desktop appears (with icons) but nothing else.
With right mouse click I can open a terminal, but windows have no
borders and no menus.
I have tried moving the following with no luck (rebooting where needed):
1. mv ~/.config/dconf/user to user.old
2. sudo dconf reset -f /org/compiz
3. rm ~/.gconf ~/.gconfd ~/.metacity ~/.compiz ~/.compiz-1 ~/.config/compiz-1
4. mv ~/.config ~/.config.old
5. ccsm & and enabling unity plugin
6. I checked .Xauthority, etc but permissions were fine
7. setsid unity
8. and a few other things found online
Couple things to note.
1. The guest user can login with no difficulty and gets a normal desktop
2. My .xsession-errors only contain this:
openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
Login Successful, Desktop Never Loads
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
ubuntu-bugs mailing list