** Description changed:
- * Current users running Xenial will be unable to upgrade to Yakkety,
- due to missing package. The button to update basically does nothing.
+ * Current users running Xenial will be unable to upgrade to Yakkety via
+ the GUI, due to missing package. The button to update basically does
- * To allow users to upgrade to
+ * Fixing this will allow the significant proportion of users likely to
+ upgrade via the GUI route to do so.
- * In addition, it is helpful, but not required, to include an
- explanation of how the upload fixes this bug.
+ * The package ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt is a required component for
+ GUI distribution upgrade in kubuntu, so reintroducing a dependency
+ ensures this is installed by default for such users.
- * detailed instructions how to reproduce the bug
+ * In software sources set the default Release upgrade path to Normal to
+ allow Xenial to Yakkety upgrade.
- * these should allow someone who is not familiar with the affected
- package to reproduce the bug and verify that the updated package fixes
- the problem.
+ * In plasma-discover when offered the upgrade click the 'Upgrade' button to
+ * Without ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt installed the upgrade does not launch -
failing with any apparent error message to the user. In effect the button
appears to do nothing.
+ * With ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt the upgrade launches and continues as
- * discussion of how regressions are most likely to manifest as a result
- of this change.
+ * This is the installation a missing package via an updated dependency,
+ which is only used during release upgrades. Therefore it is anticipated
+ that the regression potential is minimal. We are restoring a package
+ that was always intended to be installed.
- * It is assumed that any SRU candidate patch is well-tested before
- upload and has a low overall risk of regression, but it's important
- to make the effort to think about what ''could'' happen in the
- event of a regression.
- * This both shows the SRU team that the risks have been considered,
- and provides guidance to testers in regression-testing the SRU.
- [Other Info]
- * Anything else you think is useful to include
- * Anticipate questions from users, SRU, +1 maintenance, security teams and
the Technical Board
- * and address these questions in advance
+ [Original report:]
Previously in wily muon-updater depended on ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt,
meaning this was installed by default.
In Xenial muon-updater became a transitional dummy package for plasma-
discover-updater, and this dependency was not carried over, resulting in
ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt not being installed by default and a GUI
release upgrade to Yakkety 16.10 failing silently to the user after the
'Upgrade' button in software upgrades is clicked.
The bug is initially filed against plasma-discover, however it may be
more appropriate to update dependencies of another package instead.
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
missing depends on ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt - breaks GUI upgrades to
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
ubuntu-bugs mailing list