Hello,

I am stumbling onto this bug in LTS 24.04 & 26.04 for this specific
modem too, but I suspect this would happen with others too.

I've been digging the issue and noticed that the
`[email protected]` was quickly restarting and being killed when
the modem was plugged in, likely because `udev` triggers this service's
restart fast (add & change events happening back to back).

It seems that the usage of a systemd unit for usb-modeswitch, combined
with the fact that `/usr/lib/udev/usb_modeswitch` uses `systemctl --no-
block restart` makes systemd kill the unit mid-run and end-up putting
the modem to mode `0` (as confirmed by `bConfigurationValue` being
empty), but doesn't then transition to mode `3`, disabling the modem
entirely.

I checked that removing the `--no-block` switch from 
`/usr/lib/udev/usb_modeswitch` indeed prevented units from being killed and 
restored functionality; since restarts happened sequentially rather than 
concurrently.
This might be a fix, however I fail to understand the implications of waiting 
for such units to complete in udev.

In the meantime what I did to prevent that temporarily and restore
functionality in my system was to symlink
`/usr/share/usb_modeswitch/12d1:15c1` to `/dev/null` to disable usb-
modeswitch for the modem and let it be in it's default mode of `2`,
which worked.

Cheers.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1940377

Title:
  The WWAN - Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. [12d1:15c1] does not work
  after install Ubuntu Hirsute.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/oem-priority/+bug/1940377/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to