Public bug reported:

Hello,

I work for a university and we use network printers.

I have installed these printers on several Ubuntu 24.04 systems without
any issues. However, the same setup no longer works on Ubuntu 26.04.

I am trying to install two shared network printers:

smb://server-name/printer-name
https://server-name:port/printer-name

I installed system-config-printer (and smbclient) to configure the
printers.

The printer installation appears to be successful, and printing a test
page always works. However, when printing actual documents (PDFs from
Okular, files from GNOME Text Editor, web pages from Firefox, etc.),
only the first one or two print jobs are processed successfully. After
that, printing stops working entirely.

Another thing I noticed is that I am never prompted for authentication
credentials. On Ubuntu 24.04, a credentials dialog would always appear
when needed.

I also receive a problem notification mentioning the xdg-desktop-portal-
gnome module.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this issue?

I have reproduced the problem on two different laptops with fresh Ubuntu
26.04 installations fully updated to the latest packages.

I have attached the /var/crash file for reference.

If you need any additional information or would like me to perform
further tests, I would be happy to help.

Kind regards,

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 26.04
Package: xdg-desktop-portal-gnome 50.0-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 7.0.0-34.34-generic 7.0.14
Uname: Linux 7.0.0-34-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.34.1-0ubuntu0.1
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Mon Sep 28 13:57:05 2026
InstallationDate: Installed on 2026-09-28 (0 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 26.04.1 LTS "Resolute Raccoon" - Release amd64 
(20260826)
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 SHELL=/bin/bash
 TERM=xterm-256color
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
SourcePackage: xdg-desktop-portal-gnome
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

** Affects: xdg-desktop-portal-gnome (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New


** Tags: amd64 apport-bug resolute wayland-session

** Attachment added: "/var/crash log"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2168749/+attachment/6003418/+files/_usr_libexec_xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.1000.crash

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2168749

Title:
  Unable to print on network printers on Ubuntu 26.04 LTS

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xdg-desktop-portal-gnome/+bug/2168749/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to