On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 11:13 +0300, Timo Jyrinki wrote:

> For 11.10, probably something should be done about the logging in
> time, with is terrible at least with a traditional spinning, encrypted
> disk, compared to normal Gnome. Weirdly sometimes I saw a pretty fast
> logging in even after reboot, but normally it's 30s+ from gdm to
> desktop. Something is seriously churning the hard disk with seeks,
> possibly something that only occurs with specific conditions.
>
> -Timo

Yeah, we desperately need to reign this in next cycle. Startup time
(particularly the time taken for the desktop to load from GDM) has more
than doubled on my laptop since Maverick. It's now pretty much back to
the days where I can switch on my laptop and go and make myself a coffee
during the time it takes to boot.

Regards
Chris