Chase, I would try and make the use case of clicking and dragging along
with 2 finger clicking work. The other scenario could possibly be worked
out via a ppa or script for users who wish to change or otherwise enable
the split clickpad. I personally don't like the split clickpad idea and
I think making things standard for all users would be best. Aka,

1 finger tap/click = left click
2 finger tap/click = right click
multitouch click and drag = just works :-)

It's late and I'm failing to remember.. is tap to click configurable for
this? IE, I can tap the clickpad for a click, or I have to depress the
clickpad to register a click.

Nicholas